STRATEGIC PLAN STRUCTURE
Budget Home Page
NOAA Home Page
NOAA Budget Request by Strategic
Chart | Table
For the year 2005, NOAA envisions a world in which societal
and economic decisions are coupled strongly with a comprehensive
understanding of the environment. Environmental stewardship,
assessment and prediction will serve as keystones to enhancing
economic prosperity and the quality of life, better protecting
lives and property, and strengthening the U.S. balance of trade.
This vision depends on actions now that:
- Create and disseminate reliable assessments and predictions
of weather, climate, space environment, ocean and living marine
resources, nautical, and geodetic phenomena and systems.
- Implement integrated approaches to environmental management
and ocean and coastal resources development for economic and
social health, protection of essential fish habitat, and recovery
of endangered and threatened species of fish and marine mammals.
- Ensure access to continuous operations observing capabilities
- from satellites to ships to radars to data buoys.
- Build and use new information networks.
- Develop public-private and international partnerships for
the expansion and transfer of environmental knowledge and technologies.
- Invest in scientific research and the development of new
technologies to improve current operations and prepare for the
- Improve NOAA's abilities to serve its customers and forge
stronger ties with its partners and stakeholders.
Achieving NOAA's Vision for 2005
NOAA's Strategic Plan describes the goals and objectives that
have been established to fulfill its vision. The strategy consists
of seven interrelated goals that are grouped within the two missions
of Environmental Assessment and Prediction, and Environmental
Stewardship. The execution of NOAA's goal-based strategy depends
strongly on a stable and robust infrastructure and administrative
and human resources, as well as on the underlying capabilities
of the agency as a national resource for research, observing
systems, and environmental data and information services.